When it's cold, dark and motivation to exercise is at an all time low, the snooze button is all too appealing. Lean Bean Trainer, Lani Joy, gives us her top tips to get your body moving when it's the last thing you feel like doing.
1. "Find something you enjoy doing" - Exercise is a vital part of a healthy lifestyle, but it needn't be a chore! If your making yourself go and run 30 minutes on that treadmill but hating every second, that isn’t healthy for your mind, or going to be consistent. Finding something that excites you; a new class, a run with a friend, learning a new sport, is going to be far better better for you overall health than hating every second of your workout.
2. "Book a session with a friend, that way you're committing to them, and yourself." Plus, you can enjoy those post workout endorphins together!
3. "The good old ‘Just Get It Done!’" - Can you remember a time you wished you hadn’t exercised? No, thought not. Next time you're hitting that snooze button, try and imagine the feeling you get after a workout!
4. "Schedule your workouts and know when to have a rest day" - making a visual plan lets you easily see how much and of what type of exercise you’re doing. Ideally you want 4 days of a vigorous exercise (think Power, Box, Barre, Strong) and one day restorative (think Stretch, Yoga or a walk) which leaves one day for complete rest.
5. "Nourish your body with healthy foods "- Diet has a huge part to play in our energy levels. Foods that are going to release slow and steady energy are the best bet. If you’re exercising a lot, your body needs carbohydrates to restore energy levels. Think beans, legumes, whole grains, root vegetables, nuts and fruit.